Friday, 7 February 2014

Mr.Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan

Hello readers! It's been a while! Super sorry for my absence on this blog....I'm sort of a lazy person! ..... Okay so a really lazy person. But nonetheless, I'm back! Decided to write up a quick review for one of my favourite books of 2013 for you all (I read this book like a month ago, so the review may be a bit vague, bear with me!). 

Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore is seriously the book for all bookish people. It's a about an endless bookstore and a mysterious clerk. It's old mixed with new. Plus, it involves Google! What could be more intriguing than that???!

Okay, so let me first talk about the setting in this book. Robin Sloan honestly did such an amazing job of painting a world where it's simultaneously old and new! Every time I see the cover of this book, I honestly can just feel the presence of Mr. Penumbra's Bookstore. The way he writes about books....honestly? It illustrates the heart of many books in a beautiful way; after reading this book, I honestly have a whole new perception of books... They just feel so much more alive, and it's the best  feeling in the world.

And the characters . I really don't have anything bad to say about the way Sloan portrayed the characters. Like many great books, these characters were just so real. Never mind the bizarre storyline, these characters were so relatable! Seriously though, as unique as everyone may be, anyone could literally find at least one thing in common with the characters in the book (probably more though). The characterization in Mr. Penumbra's is also amazzzing. From the first moment that we meet Clay, I totally clicked with him. Yea sure, I don't have job and I don't live in San Fransico...but that's the point! Robin Sloan wrote his characters to be more than just the surface! The surface things didn't really matter in this book, and that's the best part. Why can't life be like Robin Sloan's world? 

Did I mention that some covers of this book are GLOW IN THE DARK????! Yes you read that right. If that isn't enough to convince you to go get this book now, I don't know what is! 

Overall, Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore was so awesome, inspiring, and adventurous! Read now!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment