Sunday, 15 December 2013

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz Review!!!

Okay. First of all, this is my review in a nutshell:

Second of all, five stars. 

Third, the review (finally xD): 

This book. Wow. Just. Wow. I literally just. Wow.

So I just randomly bought this book when I walked by it at Indigo. And just. I am so glad I did. I wasn't really sure what to expect (a story about two boys' friendship could have the potential to be anything!), but I really thought this was such an inspirational and unforgettable read. Wow. I literally love this book so much. Even though it is a mature read (in the sense of having mature content) and follows a slightly controversial idea, I honestly don't even care, because the book was just so much more than those little things.

It's about friendship, relationships, being adults and being teens and everything in between. It's about acceptance and finding yourself. It's about the little moments and love. It's about life. Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe captures the very essence of life, and what it really means to live.

There's really no plot to this book. It doesn't have a specific goal or centres around a specific thing...it's just about a boy. A boy who doesn't know who he is, and doesn't know what he wants in life. Doesn't know why he's even here, or what life even means. It's about his journey to find himself, and..well....discover the secrets of the universe. :)

The biggest reason why I loved this book so much was that it really opened my eyes. It's tells a story about having your own journey, and that there really is no way to speed it up. You, me, Ari, and Dante: we all are fighting our own wars. And not everyone will always accept themselves from the beginning, but life is about finding that inner acceptance. The will to open up to who you truly are and accept it..even if others won't. And I feel like this book literally was all about that. It was the raw truth; all the pain, happiness, hatred, loyalty, love...none of it hidden or spared. And I loved that. I loved the shameless way this book was written.

AND the characters. Just wow. Okay they weren't that 'normal' by societal standards, but I feel like I was all of the characters. They were me, and I was them. They captured who I was and my life so very realistically. They are one of the most real and imperfect characters I have come across.

AND the writing. WOW AGAIN. Benajamin Alire Sáenz wrote in such a poetic way, but it had just enough prose to make it just right (shall I say...Goldilocks Zone?)! I loved the short/long variation in chapters, and just the simple and plain dialogue written in. It was most and utterly beautiful.

All in all, I just actually really love this book (obviously..haha). I totally recommend this book. It was a truly amazing journey. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment