Sunday, 20 October 2013

October Litspiration Challenge! Perks of Being A Wallflower

Hey guys! So we had a chance to do another litspiration challenge this year, which of course, I was ecstatic about!  Look below for a picture of the final product (all on a painted canvas!)

For this litspiration challenge, I was partially inspired by the poetry anthology I created (find it here). It contained many themes of being yourself, choices, etc. So I thought I would incorporate those themes into my litspiration challenge. As I was looking through many books that I read, I came across Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky. And there was this one quote…


“So, I guess we are who we are for alot of reasons. And maybe we’ll never know most of them. But even if we don’t have the power to choose where we come from, we can still choose where we go from there. We can still do things. And can try to feel okay about them.”


When I read this quote, I knew it was what my challenge had to be about. This quote embodies what I want to remind myself of every day, so I challenged myself to use details from the book and my personal life to create a piece that I could put up on my wall; it would remind me that no matter what has happened in the past or what I am right now, I always have the power to influence who I become; I choose to define myself, because...well, it’s my life right? :)


So that was about my literary choice for this challenge (above was a theme that definitely was a part of the book), and now for the artistic choices!


First, the use of book pages! This didn’t really have much to do with the book, but rather myself. Reading is such a big part of my life and who I am, I can’t even imagine a life without it. All the things that I have chosen to read in my life have really had a big impact on who I am; it just felt necessary to include something related to reading to this piece!

Second, the flowers! This was inspired by the book - The Perks of Being a Wallflower - it’s right in the title! While I was looking through the book for details, I had also found this line: “He's a wallflower. You see things. You keep quiet about them. And you understand.” The first time I read this line (a while ago), I felt like I could relate to it so much. It gave me a whole new perspective on myself, and since then, I feel like I have really been able to grow; all because I finally understood why I was never able to quite fit in!

The placement of the flowers were also intentional. I had a clutter of them on one side, and just a single flower on the other. It represented that everyone is different on the inside, but sometimes, we just don’t show it, so that we can fit in. I wanted to send the message that you always have the choice to be different inside and out, and even if you are judged...it’ll still be really worth it! p.s. This is totally something that I’m still learning to do! :)

Anyway, I hope you all enjoyed this challenge! If you’ve read the book or are planning to, leave your thoughts down in the comments! It’s a book that you can take something different away every time. If you haven’t read this book, it’s definitely a must-read (a bit more relatable for teens, but still a book for everyone)!  


5 comments:

  1. It's so pretty! Looks like a great decoration to hang up in your bedroom or whatever. Ah! I wish I had your artistic talent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! It's actually so pretty!! I love your explanation too, it was wonderful and perfect. (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tagged you in my newest blog post! It's called the Bookish Halloween Tag. Have fun! :)) ~ Brianna @ For The Love Of Books

    booknook24676.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete