Thursday, 17 October 2013

A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness

This will be a quick review since I'm really, honestly speechless about this book, but I just want to start off by saying how much I loved this. It was just very unexpected. I wasn't sure what I was going to get when I picked the book off of the shelf, but I was blown away by the simple beauty of it.

A Monster Calls was formatted like a childrens' picture book...glossy pages with illustrations and all. The book does have a non-illustrated copy, but the illustrations just intrigued me so much that I had to get this version. The entire book was pretty dark and mysterious, and the illustrations definitely did justice to the story. I read the book like yesterday (which is sort of a long time, because I read another novel in between), but the pictures are still looming in my mind. Here is a picture of one of the full page illustrations in the book (I used the title page one, because I don't want to ruin the book!):
Isn't that just so beautiful and mysterious and dark and intriguing?!?? How could I not continue to hungrily flip the pages?

As for the story itself, it was really touching. It was really dark and sort of sad the entire time, but I wouldn't say it was quite negative. It had more of a nostalgic tone to it...not really negative. Anyway, as for the story line, it was so interesting and captivating. I did not put the book down once, and the ending - while parts of it a little predictable - was still so so good, and just real. There is really no other way to describe the entire story.

There are a lot more things I could say about this book, but I'm just going to leave it at that for you guys. I will tell you this though: A Monster Calls is a must read. 

I hope you all enjoy this as much as I did. Tell me your thoughts on the book! Happy Booktober! :D

2 comments:

  1. I started reading this and then had to return it to the library. I really want to continue reading it, especially after your review! ~ Brianna @ For The Love of Books

    booknook24676.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really should read it! You can borrow my copy if you want! :D

      Delete