Monday, 30 September 2013

Bamfield and Literature! - Whale Story

Whale Story Excerpt (Chapters 1 & 2) 

     I found the protagonist, 11 year old Sarah, quite hard to relate with. The fact that she was younger was different from the way she viewed the world from how I view it. I often didn't get why she valued some things more than others, or why she thought the way she thought. On the other hand, while it was hard to connect with Sarah, I found it put things into perspective for me. How we all see things differently, and how we view the world is affected by many factors and reading this story through this character's eyes.
     My understanding of the theme that might have been conveyed in this novel was about accepting change and how when you do accept it, many good things can come out of it. I feel like this theme was a possible developing theme because of how Sarah was really unable to accept the fact that she had to move to Bamfield. All she could think about was the things that she was leaving behind, such as her best friend and long time home. But starting around the end of the first chapter (her first glimpse at the ocean...) and into the second, Sarah really starts to see the light in her situation. While I don't know what will happen in the rest of the story, I really do feel like this is a clear theme I saw developing in the first 2 chapters.
     When I first read about where this story as taking place (Bamfield), I was so surprised! I thought it was really cool that the piece I was reading, was literally in the exact same place I was at. This also made it so easy to put myself in the story with Sarah...it sort of made up for me not being able to connect with her!

No comments:

Post a Comment