Sunday, 12 May 2013

The Scorpion Project: Narrative Structure Individual Post


Narrative structure. Well, all I can say is, this book had a very weird narrative structure!!

I have to be honest, but most of the exposition of the book was b-o-r-i-n-g. The first chapter had me banging my head on the wall. I thought that this book was just going to be crappy. “How can something be so confusing?” I thought. Ok, ok. That was a bit unfair of me though. The first chapter can’t possibly explain everything. Anyway, things got clearer and clearer as we went along, and soon enough I was getting into a rhythm with the book! It was still, not the most exciting thing. The exposition did have some “mini-climaxes” though, if you will. Things like when Matt jumped out the window of Celia’s house, the eejit in the dry field, the lotus pond…all those things were small bumps along the exposition that really kept me reading the book!

The climax! This. This was the second best part (look for another post for the best part) of the book. The climax had to be right in the middle of the chapters “The Blood Wedding” and “Death,” the chapter “Betrayal.” I think that the highest point of the climax was when the bodyguards were walking Matt to the hospital after Steven and Emilia had found him in that chapter. Man. I was just sitting there with my mouth hanging open, wide eyes and all. That was the moment where I think literally everybody would be like “Oh my gosh! What’s going to happen! Matt can’t just die can he? No, no he can’t. But what if he does?!?!” When I start thinking these things all at the same time, I know it’s the climax.

Falling action was just a little disappointing after the awesome climax! However, I do think Farmer pulled it off by introducing new characters, and having those “bumps” here and there just like in the exposition to keep the reader reading! All through the falling action, all I could think was “things have to get worse before they get better!” I was really looking forward to the resolution.

So here it was. After more than 300 pages of crazy, this was the resolution. The one thing that would fix everything, even for a bit at least. I was satisfied and dissatisfied with it. I was satisfied with the fact that Matt now has the chance to fix Opium and create a better life, and all that. I was happy about that…really! I was! Buuut, the way Farmer got there was completely disappointing. I mean, seriously! She just killed off every Alacran. What a convenient way out huh? I was really expecting some sort of showdown or something. Anything.

I do look forward to reading the next book; I want to know what happens! 

No comments:

Post a Comment