Friday, 10 May 2013

The Scorpion Project: Film Study Post Part 2 !!

Ok. I couldn't help it. I have to talk about everything I took note of from the movie, Gattaca and The House of the Scorpion. 

Something that I noticed was that there were a lot of mirror things going on in the movie. By "mirror things," I mean things that are really similar in both the book and the movie. One of the very similar things that I noticed was the role of characters in the book and the movie. I feel like the supporting roles which were taken by Irene and Eugene (Eugene is the "original" Jerome) in the movie are sort of similar to those of Maria and Tam Lin in the book. Obviously both Maria and Irene are the "love interest" and also the people that really help the protagonist get through the tough times (something really crazy similar about Maria and Irene, later in this post). As for Eugene, he sort of took on the same type of role as Tam Lin. They both were there for Matt and Vincent when they most needed it, giving advice and tips to help with their situations !

As for Vincent's brother, he reminded me so much of the Alacran family. Yes, he was much better than the Alacran Family, but both the Alacrans and Anton (Vincent's brother) had this sort of belief that they were more superior and way better than Matt/Vincent. They were the ones pulling the protagonist down, they were the society. More than anything, it really sucks when the people you are related to say you are hopeless, and in Matt's case, livestock. LIVESTOCK. Seriously?

There was this super crazy mirror-situation that happened between Matt and Maria, and Vincent and Irene. When Furball was killed, Maria was so upset. We didn't know what she thought, but I felt like she probably felt like all her trust she had given Matt was wrongly given. That, Matt wasn't even the person she knew...you know? I feel like the same kind of thing happened in the movie when Anton - the detective, and Vincent's brother - and Irene went to Vincent and Eugene's home, and she found out for sure that Vincent was a fraud. I'm not sure if she thought that Vincent was the murderer - if she did, that would be even more crazy-mirror! - but it definitely looked like she thought she had put her trust in the wrong person, and that she didn't even know who "Jerome" really was. Just like Maria though, she comes around. ;)


There was this one quote in the movie, "When they look at you, they don't see you anymore. They see me." This was said by Eugene to Vincent. It was like, people saw Vincent's personality, but they only saw it as Jerome's personality. It reminded me of how when people looked at Matt, all they could see was a clone, not the smart, nice, and musical genius Matt. They couldn't see Matt for what he really was, they only saw Matt as a clone-who-is-smart-because-he's-El Patron's-clone.


Anyway, I could probably go on forever talking more about the movie itself ...buut. I should stop. See you guys in my next post! Tell me what you think?? Agree? Disagree? 

No comments:

Post a Comment