Wednesday, 17 April 2013

The Scorpion Project: Individual Blog Post #2: Thoughts so Far...

Hello! This is my first actual blog post for The Scorpion Project! Anyway, this blog post is on thoughts so far. I am currently on page 112/380..except we are supposed to be on page 83, oops! Anyway here are my thoughts on the book up to page 83. Warning: It's hard for me to separate my thoughts on the chapters that came after page 83, so I will try my best, but I'm probably going to mix in some things from later in the book.

Tam Lin: Tam Lin is one of the characters I want to talk about. He's not a very round character as of right now, but I have a feeling that he is going to be a significant character, since he is the one who tells Matt what a clone is. Tam Lin is also one of the likeable characters in this book! He also tells Matt some information about the Alacran family and some tips. I hope Tam Lin is going to be there for Matt throughout the book, because Tam Lin seems to be a good role model for Matt...and Matt needs a good role model because he is surrounded by so many bad role models and people who don't like him!

- As for the storyline itself, it's really interesting so far. The tone and atmosphere of the book seems very forbidding and mysterious. For example, the white poppy fields. At first glance, it seemed to be a beautiful scene, but they are actually very dangerous (not literally) and deadly. Matt describes the field to be a blinding white, and wished to see some green grass. Nancy Farmer uses many subtle hints to give a bigger message - and I think that the poppies represent that not everything is as it seems!

- The pacing of the book has been really confusing me (mentioned earlier). I wish Farmer had given us indications of how much time is passing. There were some small hints that I noticed, like the rotting orange (it would have taken a long time for an orange to rot and have worms in it) in "Prison." However, other than these small hints, I'm finding it hard to keep track of how much time has passed in the book. I wonder why Nancy Farmer chose to write the book this way, with each section being a couple years of Matt's life.

- The narrative mapping of books and longer plot lines are always hard to determine. I feel as if right now, we are on a rising action with a lot of "mini-climaxs." What I mean by mini-climaxes, is that there are so many moments in the book where I was like, "oh my god!" or "whaaat??!" However, none of them seem to be major enough to the be the legit climax! I have a feeling that the majority of the book is going to be rising action. I always get this jittery feeling when I'm reading this book; I'm always anticipating something crazy to happen. What? I don't know! Guess we'll have to keep reading and find out!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment