Thursday, 7 February 2013

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien Review - Term 2




This is a story in which a Baggins had an adventure. “Just like his descendants, Bilbo Baggins preferred a quiet, average life, but along his journey, we can see his personal evolution into a proactive and adventurous hobbit, revealing the ‘Took’ side in him.” I totally agree with Julia on this. As soon as I finished the book, I knew exactly what the theme of this book was for me. Like Julia mentioned, throughout Bilbo’s adventure we can see the evident changes in his personality, his little internal arguments about what he is to do, and his constant wishes to be back home. Even Gandalf notices a change in Bilbo near the end of the book! “Gandalf looked at him. ‘My dear Bilbo!’ he said. ‘Something is the matter with you! You are not the hobbit that you were.’” Along with this, the settings and details are strong enough to truly take your mind to a different place; this is something both Julia and I agree on. My favorite thing about fantasy books is being able to indulge myself in them, and being able to just forget about everything else. The Hobbit was definitely one of these books!
I picked up The Hobbit to see what all the hype was about; all my friends loved it, and the book was in every corner of every bookstore! While I’m not a LOTR fan, The Hobbit was an enchanting and fun story that I really enjoyed! One issue I had with the book however was that I had a hard time getting past the first chapter or two. It took me way too long to read; I honestly feel like the beginning of the book was just really slow, but don’t get me wrong… it was still really interesting! BUT, with that being said, one of my most favorite chapters in this book has to be “Riddles in the Dark.” This chapter was insane; Tolkien’s use of description, humor, and suspense in this chapter was phenomenal! It was a very tense and mysterious chapter, also including one of the most compelling characters I’ve ever read about, the Gollum. This specific line that Gollum says was one of my favorites: “’What has it got in its pocketses?’ The sound came hissing louder and sharper, and as he looked towards it, to his alarm Bilbo now saw two small points of light peering at him. As suspicion grew in Gollum’s mind, the light of his eyes burnt with a pale flame.” This bit had me glued to the page! It was the coolest Anti-Climax. Ever. I also loved the book for its very meaningful message. Here’s what I thought it was: Don’t let others affect you and who you are. You should be content with who you are, and if you are, then that’s all that matters! At the end of the book, Mr. Baggins is very content and happy with his adventures and newfound self, even though he is never really accepted by his fellow neighbors and hobbits again. I’m happy to say however, that Mr. Baggins didn’t have a single care about what his neighbors thought and, “he remained very happy to the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long.” And now I’ll ask you: are you up for an adventure of a lifetime?

6 comments:

  1. Hey Kalindee, I really enjoyed your responding review of the Hobbit. I really like the hook at the end of your second paragraph in this review. I am thinking of reading this book because so many people said it was good. I enjoy the layout of your blog because it is an easy colour to look at (not harsh). Good luck reading 50 books this year, you have read lots already! Have you found a 2013 favourite?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks! I loved all the books I've read so far this year, it's hard to pick a favorite! Beautiful Creatures was really good, you should read it! :)

      Delete
  2. Hey Kalindee, your blog looks and is fantastic, I really think you have a talent in blogging. I enjoy how you have many different sections like Book suggestions, Poems and Quotes, Book reviews and etc. It seems like you went way above and beyond then just doing 2 book reviews on another book review, a litspiration challenge and a vlog. I love how at the beginning of your book review on another book review on the The Hobbit you added a little synopsis of the story, which in my opinion made it even better. I was just wondering though, how did Bilbo Baggins change throughout the adventure in the story? I read Jennifer's comment about how you are trying to read 50 books this year and I wish you all the best on trying to complete that goal. I love your cover to cover litspiration on The Hobbit, it very unique and creative (you inspired me to do it for term 3 litspiration challenge, if there is one). Oh and have you seen The Hobbit movie part 1 and if you have how did it compare with the book (was the book better or the other way around). Spectacular job and I can't wait to read/see the book reviews and litspiration challenges you create for term 3!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Aidan! As for your question about Bilbo, he changes in many ways throughout the book, but the main way is pretty much his personality and what he thinks of himself. Quiet, lay-low kinda guy at the beginning to a loud, outgoing, brave, and adventurous kinda guy. :) As for the movie, I loved it! I think both the book and movie were equally awesome in their different ways. Thanks for asking! (:

      Delete
  3. Your review was very very well done, I defiantly agree with Aidan you are a very talented blogger! I think your comparison with Julia's blog was detailed and well written, you always had facts to support your point of view. I really liked the hook you had at the end of your second paragraph. All of the quotes from the book enhanced the quality of the review and made me want to read the book myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You should definitely read it. :)

      Delete