Thursday, 24 January 2013

Divergent by Veronica Roth Book Review (4) - Free Reading Challenge Term 2

Here is my book review and response to a peer's book review on Divergent by Veronica Roth! My response review was on Brianna's book review on Divergent. Here's a link to her blog, go check it out: http://booknook24676.blogspot.ca Also, make sure you check out the summary of the book if you haven't read it, or the review may be confusing! Click here for the Goodreads summary on Divergent!



“The plot was very fast paced – very me – and was extremely descriptive. I was with the characters – Beatrice, Four, Christina, Will – every single one! This wouldn’t have been possible if the characters weren’t well developed.” I couldn’t agree more. Veronica Roth did an excellent job of showing the characters. I loved that Roth’s characters were real and relatable; they weren’t just stereotyped or superficial people. While the characters were very well developed and described, Roth did somehow miss the details on the actual society itself. I enjoy dystopian novels for many reasons, one of them being reading about the society and how it works, and thinking, what if this actually happened? Brianna wrote, “It was a bit confusing to understand why and how the society formed, although that lack of information didn’t pull this read down.” She’s definitely right. However, while the book still remained a terrific read, I personally found it a fair bit annoying when I couldn’t understand some things because of the lack of information on the government. Maybe there will be more about it in Insurgent
Was Divergent a life-changing, superb, novel that I will forever remember? Not really, but it was undoubtedly a thrilling read, especially towards the end. The plot and writing style is what kept me reading until the very last sentence. Roth’s writing style was just right. It was very simple, yet effective. For example, this sentence was such a simple sentence, but it really affected me: “Sometimes crying or laughing are the only options left, and laughing feels better right now.” I was able to easily connect with Tris through the sentence. It described ‘that feeling’ so precisely and perfectly, yet somehow Roth was able to do it in just 15 simple words! Furthermore, this wasn’t one of those books where you would have to bring around a dictionary with you, but it also wasn’t one of those books where you would wake up an hour later, on the same page. A theme that really stood out to me from this book was that you should follow your own path; it kind of reminded me of the phrase “free will.” A big example of this theme in the book is when Tris chooses her faction. She already has a future set out for her. Choose Abnegation, get a job, marry someone, and live a quiet, selfless, Abnegation life. It’s certainly not a bad life and it’s a safe life, but the question is… what faction will she choose?

4 comments:

  1. Yay! You reviewed my review!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kalindee, How is your day? Your background is very colourful and that's really good because it catches the reviewers eye. One of the blogposts that made me laugh is "You can't buy happiness, but you can buy books and thats kind of the same thing." I liked how you explained why this book is a thrilling read. That review was really really good you explained why to everything you noticed.

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete