Sunday, 14 October 2012

Foil Characters...example!

So for a while now, I have been looking for an example for a foil character, to help me understand them better, and I think I finally may have found one! A foil character is a character that, by contrast (difference), highlights aspects of another character (usually the protagonist). So the example I found is Draco Malfoy. He is the mean bully in the Harry Potter Series and in fact, he is quite the complete opposite of Harry Potter (the protagonist). So you see, one reason why Malfoy could be Harry's foil is because Malfoy's rudeness makes Harry seem more generous. For example, when Malfoy called Ron (Harry's best friend) poor, Harry had shared his treats that he had bought with Ron. Though Harry would've shared anyway (because Harry is just generally generous), Malfoy being rude to Ron highlighted the fact that Harry was a generous person. Would've you have thought right off the bat that Harry was a very generous person when he shared his treats? I think not. It was thanks to Malfoy's character that we see the generosity factor in Harry. You got that? ALSO I think (from the books that I have read so far in the series) that Malfoy isn't much use to the story other than the fact that he is Harry's foil and maybe a couple other minor things. What do you guys think? IS Draco Malfoy Harry Potter's foil?

Anyway...stay tuned for that book review on this book (Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone). I'm working on it and it'll be posted really soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment